Tuesday, January 6, 2009

About the painting.

I have three different ways of painting.

The first way I paint is much like doodling. I mostly do this when I'm upset, or just bored. A lot of the time these end up being abstracts or textures. Sometimes I'll go back and add something over top to make them into a more interesting piece.

The second way I paint is pure experimentation. I've tried painting on duct tape (it worked), using acrylics, inks, oils, and watercolors with each other, painting with watercolors over white acrylics, poking holes in canvases, and all sorts of weird things. I really want to get my hands on some encaustic tools (encaustic is painting with pigmented beeswax).

The third way I paint is much more planned. I always get reference first, and figure out what medium(s) and techniques I'm going to use. I sometimes make sketches, thumbnails, and detailed drawings to transfer onto the canvas or paper. I also make myself take my time, which is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment